Examples of further guidance on freedom of association include:
- United Nations Global Compact, The Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact: The Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact provide universal guidance for sustainable business in the areas of human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption. Principle 3 calls on businesses to uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining.
- ILO, Committee on Freedom of Association: The Compilation of decisions of the Committee on Freedom of Association (CFA) is a searchable database of CFA conclusions in specific cases.
- ILO, Freedom of Association and Development: This resource provides ideas for employers’ organizations on how to work with trade unions, Governments and other relevant stakeholders to achieve sustainable development.
- ILO, In Search of Decent Work — Migrant Workers’ Rights: A Manual for Trade Unions: This manual is primarily targeted at trade unionists; however, companies may use it to understand the importance of protecting migrant workers’ rights and adopting a gender-sensitive approach in protecting free association rights in supply chains.
- ILO, Freedom of Association in Practice: Lessons Learned: This report provides guidance for employers’ organizations on how to engage with the informal sector to ensure free association rights. It also provides ideas on how to strengthen employers’ organizations.
- ILO Helpdesk for Business, Country Information Hub: This resource can be used to inform human rights due diligence, providing specific country information on different labour rights.
- SME Compass, Due Diligence Compass: This online tool offers guidance on the overall human rights due diligence process by taking businesses through five key due diligence phases.
- SME Compass, Standards Compass: This online tool offers guidance on what to pay attention to when selecting sustainability standards or when participating in multi-stakeholder initiatives. It allows comparing standards and initiatives with respect to their contribution to human rights due diligence and their potential limitations.
- SME Compass, Downloads: Practical guides and checklists are available for download on the SME compass website to embed due diligence processes, improve supply chain management and make mechanisms more effective.